Take a look at the world around you, regardless of where you are at the moment,you’ll see the results of brilliant engineering. There is a good chance that you are viewing this on a high-powered phone or tablet, a device that possesses more computational capability than the typical mainframe did 20 years ago. Consider your slick flat-screen monitor, the ergonomic design of the chair you’re sitting in at your desk, or the wireless mouse you’re holding. All of them are outstanding examples of engineering. And there are yet many more marvels that are still to be revealed.
Now that the most recent batch of engineering school grads is walking about with their freshly signed certificates in their hands, the time is ripe to start thinking about how to establish a successful career in the construction of the future. Keeping this in mind, here is some advice for a successful engineering career. If you enjoy this type of post, make sure to get the latest here
1. Pick significant problems. Make it your mission to find solutions to problems that you are both interested in and certain would improve the world as a place if you are successful. This is typically the impetus for starting a business: A strong desire to mend anything that one believes to be defective.
2. Form an exceptional team or join an existing one: Give careful consideration to the members of your team, focusing on those whose skills are most complementary to your own, and consider whether or not your fellow players will push you to reach your maximum potential. It has been said that if you do not care who receives the credit for what you have accomplished, there is no limitation to what you can do. Your objective should be to contribute to the development of teams that function so well together that it becomes difficult to determine who was responsible for which innovation.
3. Put forth a lot of effort: According to a quote attributed to Thomas Edison, “Genius is two percent inspiration and ninety-eight percent perspiration.” There is no doubt that going to school demands a significant amount of effort, but the workload in the professional world is far greater. For a technology to be profitable for business usage, it needs to be intuitive and trustworthy. Building simple and dependable solutions to complex issues might be difficult, but developing products that are too complicated or easily broken seldom get widespread use. There remains a lot of engineering across the world that is only passable. We have room for improvement.
4. Give a compelling story. Constructing a better phone case is important, but it is not sufficient. To make headway, you need to have a profound understanding of the challenges and goals faced by users. The most common pitfall for a brand-new product is having interesting technology but not enough value to attract the attention of end users.
5. Adopt a contrarian viewpoint: Bear in mind that the sector will continue to develop swiftly, and that so-called “experts” will continue to make mistakes. When Google was first founded two decades ago, the company had not yet made a single dollar from advertising. Apple was on its last legs, and Facebook hadn’t even been conceived yet. The rapid speed of technological advancement in our sector ensures that this state of change will continue, and this makes predicting the future extremely difficult. Explore the possibilities presented by the unknown.